Thursday, July 20, 2006

My friend Liberal Lady

I decided to name my friend, the bride/fiance to be, Liberal Lady (LL for short), and her boyfriend, Bhangra Boy.

A little about Liberal Lady:

I have know Liberal Lady ever since I was born. She was probably my first friend. When I was growing up I would call her my best friend without hesitation. She was my favorite penpal. I saved every letter she wrote to me under my bed. We acted out mini skits together, and played imaginations games with our brothers.

She was two years older than me, so I looked up to her the way a younger sister would. I recall she was the first person to tell me about what our parents did to make us, since she was going through sex education before I did. She was always a feminist, persistently pointing out inequalities between the way we were treated by our parents and the way our younger brothers got treated.

In school, Liberal Lady excelled at everything and anything she did. Graduated with honors everywhere she went to school. Her Ivy League credentials and immaculate 4.0 GPA were things she never mentioned. Extremely modest, yet extremely intelligent, she challenged herself often. Did I mention she is a Professional dancer, and was even in a film once? How about that she made six figures working in finance only to take a drastic pay cut to work with children as a social worker? Or how about how active she is in the community? Despite all of her accomplishments, there was always one thing she felt she was missing.

And that one thing was Bhangra Boy.

No comments: